Oceans, the Future of the Blue Planet
Joint conference of the European Parliament and the European Commission.
On 19 March, the European Parliament and Commission hosted a joint high-level conference “Oceans, the Future of the Blue Planet”. The conference main goal was to address the importance to manage and preserve this natural resource, with panel discussions covering global ocean governance, sustainable blue economy, and healthy, clean seas and oceans.
The speakers included:
- Gesine Meissner, Special Envoy of the President of the European Parliament on Maritime Affairs
- Karmenu Vella, Member of the European Commission, responsible for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
- Adriana Petcu, Secretary of State, Ministry of Waters and Forests, Romania
- Carlos Moedas, Member of the European Commission, responsible for Research, Science and Innovation
- Geneviève Pons, Director of Institut Jacques Delors Brussels office
- Sébastien Willemart, Representative of the French-speaking youth council of Belgium
- Nele Van Hoyweghen, UN youth delegate for sustainable development of the Dutch-speaking youth council of Belgium
Vitor Verdelho, Member of the Board at A4F and General Manager at EABA, was invited to join the discussion panel on the way to establish a sustainable blue economy, and how algae could also play an important role.
Click here to know more about the oceans conference.